Summer Renewal: A Retreat for Educators
Develop Deeper Awareness and Resilience for Work and Life
June 27 – June 30, 2019
Big Bear Retreat Center, CA
Registration soon to secure your space
Registration deadline: June 1st!
Register for the Summer Retreat here
About the Mindful Schools Summer Renewal Retreat
Have you been curious about mindfulness, in relation to your work and life as educator or parent?
We invite you to a 3-day retreat to connect with your mind and body, develop self-care strategies, and cultivate awareness and inspiration to help you thrive in work and life. The retreat center is nestled in the beautiful landscape of Big Bear Lake, CA, surrounded by 1,300 acres of conserved National Forest.
During this retreat you will have the opportunity to learn the fundamental skills of mindfulness practice. Periods of silent practice will be integrated into teaching modules designed to address common challenges and misconceptions that arise for people new to practice.
The content of the retreat will focus on developing a personal practice by providing you with a complete framework of mindfulness, rooted in science- and contemplative-informed skills for emotional well-being. Studies demonstrate that educators with a mindfulness practice benefit from reduced stress, increased connection with their students, and greater job satisfaction.
This retreat experience is designed for those who are new to practice and have an interest in the growing field of mindfulness and education.
- Develop a concrete framework for mindfulness practice and theory
- Understand and develop core social emotional learning (SEL) skills
- Learn practices for empathy and compassion
- Cultivate a practice that will not just support you, but also the young people you teach
This retreat covers content equivalent to our Mindfulness Fundamentals course, and fulfills the prerequisite to move on to our Mindful Educator Essentials course. If you have taken our online courses, we still welcome you to refresh or deepen your practice amongst a like-minded community of peers at this in-person retreat. Both beginning and experienced practitioners find that the silent, residential retreat experience is impactful in their mindfulness practice and lives.
- June 27: Check-in 3pm-5pm | Dinner and evening practice
- June 28: Guided, silent practice
- June 29: Break silence | Relational mindfulness practice and interactive workshops
- June 30: Programming finishes by noon
Big Bear Retreat Center in Big Bear, CA
Retreat Fees and Registration
This retreat costs $875. Fees are all-inclusive of retreat programming, and room and board at the Big Bear Retreat Center. Accommodations at the retreat center are double occupancy. Fees do not include the cost of travel, which should be purchased separately.
Register here to secure your space
Meet Our Teachers
Dave Smith began practicing mindfulness in 1994 and is now our Head of Practice at Mindful Schools and an internationally recognized mindfulness teacher and published author on Ethical Mindfulness. Over the last decade he has brought mindfulness-based interventions into jails, prisons, youth detention centers and substance abuse treatment facilities. He has developed programs and trainings for mental health agencies, private high schools and non-profit organizations. Dave speaks nationally at behavioral health conferences as an advocate for the implementation of Mindfulness and Emotional Intelligence skills into fields the of mental health, substance abuse, and education.
Megan Sweet, EdD is the Director of Training at Mindful Schools. She brings more than two decades of experience as a school teacher, school and district administrator, and a leader in school transformation. She’s an experienced Network Lead with a demonstrated history of working in the education management industry. Her doctoral degree focused on Educational Leadership and Administration and she is skilled in Educational Consulting, Lesson Planning, Educational Technology, Instructional Design, and Curriculum Development. Megan is also a published author of An Educator’s Guide to Using Your 3 Eyes: How to Apply Intellect, Insight and Intuition to Promote Personal and School-Wide Transformation.
Join our list to receive Summer Retreat updates
Sign up to receive updates
Summer Retreat FAQs
- Are there any prerequisites to attend this retreat? We do not require any previous mindfulness experience to attend this retreat.
- I’ve taken Mindfulness Fundamentals and Mindful Educator Essentials. Is this retreat for me? Both beginning and experienced practitioners find that the silent, residential retreat experience is impactful in their mindfulness practice and lives. If you have taken our online courses, we welcome you to refresh or deepen your practice amongst a like-minded community of peers at this in-person retreat.
- Does this retreat fulfill the practice prerequisite for the Mindful Educator Essentials course? In our Mindful Educator Essentials (MEE) course, we teach strategies to integrate mindfulness into the classroom using our research-backed K-12 Mindful Schools Curriculum. Before taking MEE, we require that participants first establish a personal mindfulness practice either through our Mindfulness Fundamentals course or other trainings. This retreat does fulfill the practice prerequisite needed to move on to MEE.
- I’m a graduate of the Mindful Teacher Certification Program. Is this retreat for me? MTCP grads, please email firstname.lastname@example.org about the summer Grad Retreat.
- More questions? Reach out to us at email@example.com.
Retreat Terms and Cancellation Policy
In general, cancellation fees increase the closer it gets to the starting date of the retreat. There are no refunds if you cancel after June 7, 2019. If you need to cancel this retreat, please let us know as soon as possible by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If Mindful Schools cancels the retreat for any reason, the cancellation fees will be waived and full refunds will be offered to those who have registered.
Cancellation Fee Schedule:
- Cancellations before May 24: $150 cancellation fee
- Cancellations May 24 to June 7: $300 cancellation fee
- Cancellations after June 7: No refund
Photo and Video Release Policy
Participation in this program gives Mindful Schools permission to use and/or take photographs or videos of all registered participants for the purposes of growing awareness around mindfulness in education. Videos and/or photos may be used by Mindful Schools for promotional and training materials and other media which may be electronically displayed via the internet, an educational setting, or other public facing outlets. Registered participants certify that they are at least 18 years old and release and discharge Mindful Schools and its employees and agents from any and all claims, causes of action, liabilities and damages based upon or arising out of any use of their name, voice, image likeness, or appearance in accordance with this release, including without limitation, any and all claims that they have or may have for defamation, invasion of privacy or violation of the right of publicity or notoriety.