About this course
Learn how to integrate mindfulness into your work with youth using our research-backed K-12 Mindful Schools Curriculum. Our curriculum – used by thousands of educators in 50 states and over 60 countries – is adaptable for classrooms, after-school programs, clinical settings, and home. It uses developmentally appropriate language for explaining key mindfulness concepts and practices to youth [sample module]. Youth who receive the Mindful Schools Curriculum have demonstrated improvement in attention, self-care, in-class participation, and empathy. The Curriculum Training also trains participants to effectively communicate with key adult stakeholders about the benefits of mindfulness.
In this course, you will learn:
- How to integrate mindfulness practice with youth at different developmental stages
- How to accurately represent the research to date on mindfulness and youth
- The basic neurobiology of attention and emotion
- Approaches for developing group facilitation and classroom management skills
- Key points for presenting to administrators, school, and agency staff
Your training kit will include:
- K-5 Curriculum (30 modules for ages 5-12)
- Middle & High School Curriculum (25 modules for ages 12-17)
- Student workbooks
- Manual on facilitation & classroom management
- Summaries of neuroscience concepts
- Program evaluation tools
- Unlimited future access to course content
Stories from Our Community:
- A letter from a parent
- Meet Joanie and one of her mindful 1st graders
- Healthy Habits of Mind, a free film with Neuroscientist Richard Davidson
Who is this course for?
This course is for adults interested in using mindfulness with youth. Teaching mindfulness techniques to youth is exponentially more effective when it stems from a base of personal practice. For this reason, participants must establish a personal mindfulness practice prior to this training through our Mindfulness Fundamentals course or any one of the approved trainings listed here.
Upon completing this course:
- Educators can receive 3 CEUs [Details]
The course is taught by Megan Cowan, Chris McKenna, and Vinny Ferraro. This team has over 40 years of combined mindfulness practice and over 30 years of teaching mindfulness and/or emotional intelligence to children and adolescents, as well as experience training many thousands of adults. Their work is featured in documentary films Healthy Habits of Mind and Room to Breathe, and MTV’s “If You Really Knew Me”.
In addition to the Program Team, the online Curriculum Training also has a Guiding Teacher. The Guiding Teacher directs the learning process by synthesizing emerging themes, answering questions, and providing ongoing participant feedback. All of our Guiding Teachers have over a decade of mindfulness practice and broad teaching experience with different youth populations. Your Guiding Teacher is available to answer questions throughout the course.