About this program
The Year-Long Certification program is for dedicated practitioners in the field of mental health and education who are looking to receive an in-depth curricula-based training in becoming a skillful mindfulness teacher for young people.
- Deepen your personal practice
- Receive coaching on teaching mindfulness to a variety of different youth populations (e.g. high-risk adolescents, children with special needs, etc.)
- Progressively improve your teaching and facilitation skills
- Receive the tools for starting your own mindfulness program in a variety of settings
- Become a competent presenter on mindfulness in your school or agency, well versed in the history, science, and benefits of mindfulness.
- Successfully complete a teaching practicum and receive a public profile on the Mindful Schools website
- Join a community of like-minded practitioners for reciprocal learning and curriculum building
- Continued support after graduating
Some examples of implementation as a result of this program:
- More skillfully embed mindfulness into public/private/charter/special needs classroom teaching
- Use mindfulness-based techniques during therapeutic work with individuals or small groups
- Integrate mindfulness in intervention/resiliency/probationary work
- Become an independent mindfulness educator developing specialized programs for various communities
Participants can choose to complete the practicum portion of this program, which includes an evaluation by your trainers. Certified Graduates receive a public profile on the Mindful Schools website. This Certified Instructor Directory meets the growing demand of institutions searching for highly-trained mindfulness educators to provide mindfulness programming to youth.
Engage in 4 core subject areas over the year:
- Two week-long summer retreats that bookend the year
- 10 months of online learning through weekly teaching videos, written content, assignments and forum engagement [see example]
- Weekly group coaching sessions with faculty
- Monthly small group cohort meetings
- Guest speaker webinars on specialized topics
CEUs are available for educators through the University of Pacific. Please contact us for more information.
This is a high-touch, in-depth program facilitated by the Mindful Schools program team. The primary instructors for this training are Vinny Ferraro, Chris McKenna, Megan Cowan, and Pam Dunn. These instructors have over 55 years of combined mindfulness practice and over 30 years of teaching mindfulness and/or emotional intelligence to youth, as well as experience training many thousands of adults. Their work is featured in 5 documentary films (including Room to Breathe & Healthy Habits of Mind) and has received substantial media coverage.
In addition to the core faculty, the program also features a number of guest presenters on specialized topics including neurobiology, child development, communication skills and other topics. Presenters include:
Neuropsychologist & Author of “Hardwiring Happiness”
Fellow, UCSF Osher Center for Integrative Medicine
Founder, Greater Good Science Center, UC Berkeley
Assistant Professor of Psychiatry and Human Behavior at Brown University Medical School
Dates based off the 2015/16 Cohort. Sign up for our 2016/17 Notification List for upcoming dates.
Participants must commit to attend two week-long retreats either on the West Coast or the East Coast. The cost of the retreats are separate from the program’s tuition fee, and are at-cost of the venue’s charge with no additional markup by Mindful Schools.
Participants are responsible for the cost of their own travel accommodations.