About this course
Mindfulness means maintaining a moment-by-moment awareness of our thoughts, emotions, bodily sensations, and surrounding environment. It is also a set of techniques and methods for systematically developing this awareness. The practice of mindful awareness has a variety of well-documented impacts, including a reduction in toxic stress, an increase in emotion regulation, and an improvement in sustained attention, focus and executive functioning. The central objective of the course is for participants to have the tools necessary to continue their mindfulness practice after the course completes.
In this six-week self-paced online class, you will learn:
- The basics of mindfulness meditation
- How to work with thinking that arises while practicing mindfulness
- Techniques for meeting and navigating intense emotions
- Practices that cultivate positive states of mind like gratitude, kindness, joy & compassion
- The role mindfulness plays in communication and interaction
- Support for developing a daily sitting practice
Who is this course for?
If you are interested in integrating mindfulness with youth, this course is a prerequisite to our other courses. If you are interested in establishing a personal mindfulness practice, this is the place to start. Both beginners and those with significant experience find this course extremely worthwhile. In the context of education, parenting and youth mental health, the development of mindful awareness can be an important step in counteracting burnout, practicing self-care and cultivating inner resilience.
Upon completing this course:
- Eligible Mental Health Professionals can receive 12 CEUs Details
- Educators can receive up to 3 CEUs Details
This course is facilitated by a Guiding Teacher who directs the learning process by synthesizing emerging themes, answering questions, and providing ongoing participant feedback. All of our Guiding Teachers have over a decade of mindfulness practice and broad teaching experience. Your Guiding Teacher is available to answer questions throughout the course.